If you have strong, longtime relationships in your community; excellent writing and communication skills; a creative, entrepreneurial spirit; a friendly, professional demeanor; a love and concern for business, commerce, the economy, and your community; and a desire and need to care for your family and home while having an esteemed career, PR consulting and our Your Public Is Waiting™ franchise may be a dream come true for you.
PR consulting gives you the opportunity to help businesses and organizations in your hometown succeed. Here are some other benefits for you:
- Work from home
- Be your own boss
- Have multiple profit centers
- Have low overhead
- Have high income potential
- Legitimately cover the cost of and get tax write-offs for many expenses from a cell phone account to a car lease and more
- Be part of a respected network of professionals
- Have low start-up costs
- Have a flexible work schedule to suit your needs
- Have job stability — no one can fire you or lay you off
- Have no employees to manage (unless you want to)
- Have a high quality of life
- Leverage and optimize all of your skills, life experience and knowledge
- Have freedom, independence and pride of ownership
Here are some statistics about our PR industry:
- PR is a growing field. The U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics predicts that the field of public relations will grow by 18 percent from 2006 to 2016.
- PR consultants love their jobs. A 2006 study done by the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) asked independent practitioners their main reasons for going into business for themselves:
- 99% said they wanted to be in control of their work life
- 91% valued having more time to devote to family
- 84% enjoyed building a substantial client base
- 83% wanted to have a high income
- PR consultants make a lot of money. According to PRSA, the average gross profit for PR consultants in 2005 was $112,107. Not bad. The US Department of Labor also found that “full-time, independent contractors earn more than average traditional workers.”
As for your skills and experience in public relations, there are two things to consider:
First, PR requires skills that are universally important. This means that whatever skills and experience you have racked up over the years can be used for your PR consulting business. If you’ve been a server in a restaurant, you know a lot about the restaurant and culinary industry. If you’ve done construction work, you have experience in the construction and development arenas. If you’ve volunteered for a nonprofit organization, including your church, you have skills that can help not-for-profit businesses. If you’ve worked in an office, you know the inner workings of a business. If you’ve taught anyone anything, you know how to present material. You know a lot more than you think. Do not underestimate yourself. Cull everything you’ve done, especially the things you’re the most proud of, and apply them to your new business. Leverage all the experience and skills on behalf of your clients.
Second, PR skills are learnable and there are many resources to tap in order to build your capabilities and credibility in the field. Our Your Public Is Waiting™ franchise fee includes all the training, support, and manuals you will need to get started. Additionally, your first year of membership with the Public Relations Society of America is included in the franchise fee and offers a host of learning opportunities, accreditation programs, networking and more.
If you want to work from home as a PR consultant, own a business, and maintain independence and flexibility in your professional life, our Your Public Is Waiting™ PR consulting franchise may be the opportunity for you. We are an award-winning firm with over 16 years of successful PR consulting experience. Read “Our Story: Becoming a PR Consultant” to learn more about us. Visit our Be a PR Consultant post for more information about what the franchise fee includes and the qualities you need to be a successful PR consultant. Email us today to inquire more about how you can own a low-overhead, high-profit family-friendly business. Your Public Is Waiting™.